Tasty! An old favorite in SF
- 2 bunches spinach
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 bunch scallions cut into ¼ inch pieces including some green tops
- 10 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ½ recipe Dijon mustard sauce. (See below)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4oz) grated parmesan cheese
Place washed spinach in a bowl, set aside.
Cook bacon, in small bits and save 2 tablespoons bacon grease (fat). In the same pan with the leftover grease cook the scallions and mushrooms for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the sherry and reduce to half with medium heat, make sure to scrape off all the goodies from the bottom of the pan. Add the mustard sauce, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Pour this mixture over the spinach, gently toss with the parmesan cheese and bacon bits and serve immediately.
Dijon Mustard Sauce
This recipe makes a lot, you need only half or less for the salad
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat, stiring occasionally. Simmer 15-20 min. remove from heat and wisk for 1-2 min. until sauce thickens. Tast and season accordingly and set aside and keep warm.